Sunday, April 14, 2013

My natural first aid kit

I try to treat my horses as naturally as possible and I have found that they tend to stay healthier and happier that way.  My horses are rarely sick, they are rarely lame and they only see the vet for annual check ups, teeth and Coggins test.  This is what I usually keep around for emergencies or first aid care:


A thermometer and a sheet with the information on checking vital signs.


Natural clay, already mixed and ready to use - great for swelling, abscesses, bug bites, bruises, aches and pains, and can be fed diluted to treat stomach ulcers.  It is also a natural antiseptic that can be used on wounds.  I use Bentonite, but natural green clay is also excellent.


A photonic torch - this is a incredible tool that I use all the time, for prevention and treatment.  Photonic therapy was initially developed by an Australian veterinarian, Dr. McLaren, and works on the same principle as acupuncture.  Instead of stimulating the points with needles, he uses a ray of red light.  It is effective and cannot harm the horse.  I have successfully treated a large number of wounds and conditions with the photonic torch, including colic and pain.  I also use it on my horses on a regular basis as a preventive treatment to ward off illness and boost their immune system, as well as to optimize the energy flow through their bodies.

I am now distributing the red light!  For more information, click on Photonic Health


Colloidal silver - to treat wounds, infections, cuts, scrapes and can be fed to help the immune system.  It can also be used to treat eye conditions.


Tea tree oil and tea tree oil ointment - great for all kinds of things.  It has natural antiseptic and healing properties and can be used on cuts, scrapes, skin disorders, scratches, mud fever, sores, etc.


Calendula cream for cuts and scrapes, and arnica gel for bruises and localized swelling.


A probiotic - very useful to help the gut during stressful events,  before and after vaccination, while travelling and to help a horse who is having digestive trouble.  I also feed a small amount daily to help them with the digestion and assimilation of their food.


Vitamin C - used to support them when they are feeling sick, fatigued, have a cold, and a number of other conditions.  I have not used antibiotics on my horses for years.


A colloidal trace mineral solution - used to dry out a cut or reduce bleeding, to help with healing and can be fed internally to support healing.


Organic apple cider vinegar - fed daily to promote health, good digestion and good skin, and also used to make fly spray, other solutions or to spray on skin that is dry, flaky or has some kind of condition.  It can also be sprayed on feet and added to water (it prevents the growth of bacteria and algae).


Scissors, diapers and duct tape - to wrap feet if necessary.


Sterile gauze, cotton and pads - for cleaning or to apply solutions or ointments without contaminating wounds.  I rarely wrap anything, it does better if it can drain and clean itself out.


Essential oils - I am still learning about the use of oils, but I have found all sorts of use for them.  I allow the horse to smell the oil and let me know if they need it.  Bergamot, cedar, citronella and peppermint are great in fly spray.  Lavender is good for the skin.  Some mixes can be used to reduce pain, help digestion, etc.

A headlight, for those times where it is dark and you need your hands to function!

I make sure to keep everything in one place and nicely organized so that I can quickly find and grab the whole kit and take it to my horse in case of emergency.  I keep one kit in the barn AND one in the trailer at all times so that I won't forget it if I happen to be going somewhere.

Have you considered a natural approach to horse management?  Share your thoughts and comments with us.

Geneviève Benoit offers seminars and workshops on natural horse management, as well as on using Photonic Therapy and Essential OilsContact us for more info and to set one up. 

No comments: